Friday, July 11, 2008

Yet another surgery

My father had surgery again on Wednesday. When he had a PET scan done in November they not only found the cancer in his jaw but they found a spot on his lung. After having surgery to remove the cancer in his jaw in January, they did another PET scan. The spot on his lung was still there and it was decided that he should probably have a biopsy. Because of the location of the spot, they had to do surgery to do the biopsy. They found it was cancer and a different type that was in his jaw, so it was removed. They also took out some lymphnodes to test them for cancer as well. He was told that the spot was smaller than they had originally expected and that if the lymphnodes came back ok, he wouldn't need any further treatment. He seems to be doing well and has been on a regular diet since Wednesday night. He has even been up walking around a few times. Hopefully, he will be able to go home on Sunday. We should know the results of the tests on the lymphnodes within 7-10 days.
It has been really hard as I live so far away from my family and unable to be there for his surgeries. During the first surgery, I was pregnant with Thing 2 and in my third trimester so I couldn't travel. This time, I just started back to work and have no way to travel due to lack of finances and lack of time off. While I was at work on Wednesday, I just keep looking at the clock and had a hard time concentrating on my work. I don't think I got much accomplished that day. I am hoping this is then end of all of the surgeries and treatment and that he will be given a clean bill of health.

No comments: