Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Toothless - Part 2

I took Thing 1 to the dentist this afternoon. I think I was more nervous than he was. I absolutely despise going to the dentist. I had butterflies in my stomach and the dentist wasn’t even going to poke around in my mouth!

Anyway, I digress. Thing 1 waited patiently in the waiting room as I filled out paperwork and we waited for his name to be called. He looked at books and put each one back before getting another. You may wonder why this is important? He doesn’t do this at home. We have toys scattered everywhere.

Once it was his turn, he walked into the exam room all by himself. He allowed the dentist to look into his mouth and waited patiently for the hygienist to come in to do an x-ray. For the x-ray, he sat perfectly still in the dental chair. I must say that he did an awesome job. Again, he waited patiently until the x-ray was developed. He continued to ask questions about what everything in the exam room was.

After a few minutes, the dentist came in to show us the x-ray. It looks as if his permanent tooth is coming down rather nicely. She said that there is a small piece of the baby tooth still in the gum but the permanent tooth with push it down to the point that we can just pull it out. She stated that my son does not have a disease and that there are two years plus or minus the “normal” age for children to start loosing their teeth and 3 years of age is not unheard of. Thing 1 is just one of the younger ones to start this stage of his life. The dentist also said that it looks as if the other top front tooth will be coming out within the next 6-8 months as the root is starting to disappear. I can now relax! Who knew that my child would start losing his baby teeth before anyone else in the entire daycare center, even the 4 year olds? Thank you so much to the dentist and the staff at the office for making my son feel comfortable!

As we were leaving the office, the receptionist suggested that we call to schedule another time for Thing 1 to have his first cleaning. During this time he proceeded to ask me if I had a regular dentist. I said no. He said that when Thing 1 comes in for his cleaning, I should have an appointment scheduled right before so that Thing 1 can see me have my teeth cleaned first. *Gulp*

No comments: