Sunday, September 28, 2008

Birthday Parties

Now every since my son started having birthdays (granted it has only been 3 thus far), we have really only done the family parties. His first birthday we did invite others, but it was mostly people my husband and I knew and that also had small children around 1 year. We didn’t plan kid activities as the oldest child there was my son. We had a cook out at our home, had cake and ice cream, and decorated with streamers and balloons. Thing 1 had a nice time and I believe everyone else did as well. For his 2nd birthday we no longer lived close to family and had only been in the area for 6 months. My parents came to visit so we took Thing 1 to the aquarium, as he was really into Finding Nemo at the time. He also took homemade cupcakes to daycare to share with his friends. This year, I had just had Thing 2 (literally 9 days before Thing 1’s birthday), so we again did a family party, this time with both sets of grandparents and the new baby brother. We again had a cookout (in the rain), cake, ice cream, and gifts. I never felt that I would have to do a party with friends until he is in school, say at age 5 or 6.

My son is currently at a birthday party for one of his classmates. My husband took him while I stayed home with the little one (who is currently napping). Thing 1 is 3 years old and the little boy who is having the party is now 3 years old. The parents of said little boy decided to have the party at a place called The Bounce Zone. Since we have only lived in this area for 2 years, I decided to Google it and learn more about the party place. During my research I found that it costs $300 to have a child’s party there and that doesn’t include food. My son also has another party to attend next weekend at an athletic club (which I also researched). I found that particular party place to cost $230 and it also doesn’t include food.

To me the idea of having a party with friends is nice. I think Thing 1 will have a wonderful time at the party he is attending today, the one he will attend next week, and any party he does have that includes friends. I just never thought these types of parties started when a child turned 3. For one, the cost is huge. I would never be able to afford that sort of thing. I can think of much better uses for that money than to have a party for a whole bunch of 3 year olds who probably will not remember it when they are in their 30’s. When I was a kid, I had parties with friends. I remember having parties at the bowling alley or attending ones at Chuck E. Cheese (really Razz Ma Tazz, same difference, but I don’t even think they are around anymore). We would also go to the child’s home to have the party. I don’t recall a lot of planned out activities, just kids finding activities to do together on their own – you know playing outside on the swing set, red light green light, other outdoor games, or playing with the toys the child had who we were celebrating. Has this type of party left and now we are expected to pay $300 (for 2 hours) to rent a place to entertain our children for us for a birthday party? And then pay for food? Maybe I am cheap or old fashioned but I don’t think I will be forking over this amount of dough for my child. We will need to be more creative and find something that won’t break the bank for his parties.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

I agree with you completely. I'd hesitate to have a big expensive party for my sixteen year old, let alone a three year old. There is nothing wrong with a house party and make believe in the back yard.