Friday, November 21, 2008

The Waiting Room Is The Worst Place To Be

Today we took Thing 2 to the urologist. He was born with hypospadias so could not be circumcised while in the hospital. We have gone through all of this before. Thing 1 was also born with hypospadias. He was in and out of the hospital in the same day. He had a tube coming out of his penis to allow him to pee and keep the swelling from closing up the opening. We had to double diaper him for a few days until the tube was removed. It was rough. That was the worst day...so hard to sit in the waiting room with tons of other parents whose children were in surgery. I remember watching the clock tick by. I sat up straight every time a nurse or doctor came into the room, hoping that it was my child that was out of surgery. Once Thing 1 was out of surgery and I was able to see him, it was difficult to watch my baby sitting there drinking juice. He just didn't look himself. He had been crying and he was drinking that juice like no one had fed him in days. Just looking at him made me cry. I had such a hard time dealing with it. I was scared and nervous. I felt like a horrible parent allowing someone to do surgery on him (even though I new it had to be done and it was best for him in the long run). The day after his surgery, I was home alone with him as The Mr. had to work. I was nervous being around him and trying to take care of him. I was so afraid I would hurt him each time I changed his diaper. We got through it and now you would never know Thing 1 had surgery. But I am not looking forward to going through this all again. This time with Thing 2.

Thing 2 had his first urology appointment back in June, where we were told he would need surgery to fix the hypospadias. We were also told it would be minor and he would be in and out in the same day. The surgery could not be scheduled until he was at least 6 months. We went to the second appointment this morning.

During the appointment today, the urologist stated that Thing 2 actually had chordee. The opening in his penis is actually in the correct spot, his penis is just a bit crooked. The doctor stated that the surgery would only take a half an hour and that one parent would be allowed back with him as he is drifting to sleep. After the surgery, each of us would be allowed to see him, separately, for about 20 minutes. Shortly after that, he would be able to go home. Thing 2 won't need the tube or the double diapering as the urethra won't be touched at all. The doctor stated that all that would need to happen after the surgery is an ointment would need to be put on at each diaper change. He sounded like this would be an easy surgery with no worries.

I know in the grand scheme of things, this will be an easy surgery. As for me, emotionally, it will be tough. I already told The Mr. that I can't go back with Thing 2 as he is drifting off to sleep. I cannot be there to watch as my little boy is going into surgery. It's hard enough for me to watch him get his vaccinations at each appointment! I know I will be worried and stressed. I know I will cry as my baby goes back to surgery and I know I will be nervous about taking good care of him after it is all over. I just hope he recovers quickly and the time goes by fast. I don't think I can stare at the seconds and minutes ticking by for very long.

Thing 2 is scheduled for surgery on December 23. I hope he is feeling better by the 25th so he can enjoy his first Christmas.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

I feel for you. I hope everything goes well for the little one. At least he doesn't have to have a tube. Lucky they don't remember things this early huh?